Binoculars

General discussion
knotman2

Binoculars

Post by knotman2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Help. Any advice for a small set of waterproof saltproof binoculars out there? Any prices?
Sennen

afinn

Re:Binoculars

Post by afinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Not of any help, but I too would be interseted in hearing of waterproof binos, have two pairs of non waterproof, wold love a pair to bring to sea

leonconway

Post by leonconway » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Bought what looked like a bargain a little while ago - Tasco waterproof Offshore binoculars (colour yellow). With 7 x 50 optics for €60, they seemed like a good buy. They\'re selling in most of the sports retailers lately. Mine however, fell apart - literally - after one week despite good care. That\'s the word of caution.....

LC

lonanbyrne

Post by lonanbyrne » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

I can recommend Opticron - quality optics and construction without paying silly money for a brand name. The have waterproof compacts ranging from £55 to £300 at www.opticron.co.uk.

Lonan

afinn

Post by afinn » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Excellent, had a look at the site, very nice, thanks Lonan

Navarat

Post by Navarat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-binocu ... ulder-case
Check this out. I bought this few years ago but never got it wet YET :sick:

DaveWalsh

Post by DaveWalsh » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:51 pm

First folks, before price and before waterproofing or anything else, the things have to work. Accepted wisdom is that with binoculars, more is less. Get minimum magnification (subjective lens) and maximum objective lens. My best binoculars are 7x42, Zeiss, 7 times magnification of an image created by a 42 lens, full size and magnificent. I have intermediate Opticrons (Lonan is right, an excellent brand) at 8x30. The 30 instead of 42 means they are half the bulk. I take them strolling when birds are not the actual target, but might be. My miniatures are 6x21, which I take out cycling with me. Also Zeiss and they are fine \"just in case\".
Not everyone wants to tool up so seriously but I am an ex-twitcher and I do.
Second rule folks, no human being throughout history is known ever to have said \"I wish I\'d bought a cheaper pair of binoculars. These are excessively good.\"
Third, good bins last a lifetime AND are waterproof as a given.
The three examples above are these days probably about 1,000, 350 and 250. The Zeiss in each case are 25+ years on the go, the Opticrons about 10 years, and are the recommendation of choice of Birdwatch Ireland, still, I believe. Zeiss on the other hand have been overtaken by other modern manufacturers, but are still well regarded. Either way the approximate subjective / objective ratios stand the test of time.
Ever once go out of a dull evening and look through good bins and you will understand, no further explanation necessary. Its like buying a Crombie overcoat, no one ever does so twice in a lifetime.
My penny\'s worth (well, quite a few pennies but there you are).
DWalsh